SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:34:50 -0800
As I understand it, SL 6x contains the current SL implementations of TUV
RPMs as well as specific extensions to TUV system that does not "break"
compatibility with the TUV "stock" distribution.

Nonetheless, there are a number of other repositories for EL 6, many of
which are mentioned on this SL list, and which address either
shortcomings in TUV distribution or add functionality from other
(enthusiast or enterprise) distributions.  A partial list that I have
found includes ElRepo.org, PUIAS, ATrpms, RPMforge.net, Extra Packages
for Enterprise/EPEL, and of course SL 6 itself (as well as duplicate
packages from CentOS that contain the CentOS repackaging of TUV
distribution source).  In several of these cases, software professionals
external to the CERN/Fermilab SL staff are involved with the production
of particular RPMs (e.g., Dag Wieërs if providing such a name does not
have a similar taboo to naming TUV).

Is there any utility that comparatively will list what each of these
repositories has and which RPMs are mutually incompatible?  For example,
when I add one of these to the software sources list and then enable the
addition, I get a large number of software updates (in some cases, a red
badge with an exclamation mark indicating an urgent, probably
security-related, update, appears on the top bar of the Gnome GUI).
However, I am concerned that some of these "updates" will conflict with
and/or "break"  SL 6x or packages from some of the other repositories.

Yasha Karant