SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:13:13 -0600
On 03/03/2011 02:55 PM, Ken Teh wrote:
> I'm trying to install 6.0 x86_64 on a machine using the enterprise storage option.  The machine hosts a 16TB disk array.  The OS is to be installed on a software raid set of smaller disks separate from the 16TB array.  A couple of questions:
>
> (1) Is the enterprise storage option the right option?  I'm not using any of the FCoE, iSCSI, etc., options.  Just plain hardware raid 5.

I don't know about any "enterprise storage option" so I'm not sure what
to say.
"Scalable Filesystem" is really just XFS support

> (2) I'm having trouble with the graphical install.  The network dialog is too large for my screen and I cannot see the buttons at the bottom of the dialog box.  Is there a text-based install?

Installation instructions are here
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/installing/
I suggest that you try to find some option to change the video
resolution.  You really don't want to try text install.

Text install instructions are here
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/installing/install-guide-text-full.html
NOTES about text install

     * You are unable to do customized partitions in text mode.
     * You are unable to review and edit partitions in text mode.
     * You are unable to put your boot loader anyplace special in text mode.
     * You are unable to select packages and/or groups in text mode.
       You only get a minimal install.

This is the way the installer comes from The Upstream Vendor.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group