SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:20:51 -0600
Hi Dmitry,

In the days of slower CPU's you used to be able to do
   glxgears
and see if you had hardware acceleration.  But nowdays I've seen some
fast CPU's spin those gears nice and fast just doing software emulation.

Looking through your xorg log file is a good way to find things out, but
usually for a standard Scientific Linux 4 installation you can do a

rpm -q xorg-x11
such as

$ rpm -q xorg-x11
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.37.2.i386
$

To look through the changelog you do a --changelog to the command, such as

$ rpm -q --changelog xorg-x11

You will see *alog* of stuff there, so you might want to filter it.

$ rpm -q --changelog xorg-x11 | grep -i intel

If you look, you'll see that we have the following

- New Intel i865 integrated video support is in this snapshot
- Numerous bug fixes, stability, and correctness fixes for the Intel
830/845G

So it looks like it's in there.

Troy

DMITRY HITS wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Miles O'Neal wrote:
>
>> DMITRY HITS said...
>>
>> |I think xorg-x11 will work, I checked out their website but I am not
>> sure
>> |if the i810 driver in the X11R7.1 has a support for the Intel 845gm
>> chip.
>> |The release news said that I have to look through their changelog. BTW,
>> |how do I check which version of X11 I have?
>>
>> Unless you know the specific RPM you need the version
>> for, I would suggest just checking the top of the
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file after running X.  You should
>> see lines like:
>>
>>   X Window System Version 7.1.1
>>   Release Date: 12 May 2006
>>   X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
>>
> In my case it says:
>
> X Window System Version 6.8.2
> Release Date: 9 February 2005
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
>

> How do I get updated? Yum update?
>
> It says that "No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion"?
> Does that mean I am not including relevant repositories? I have
> sl-base and sl-errata.
>

>> This is from SL4, so newer versions should have
>> a newer version of this (unless some updates I
>> did last night pulled in new xorg RPMs).
>>
>> The xorg RPM package naming can be a bit
>> annoying, but you could try
>>
>>   rpm -qa | grep xorg | grep -v drv
>>
>> to see everything but the drivers, or leave off
>> the final pipe and grep to see those as well.
>>
>> |That was the reference on the IGUANA page. Can somebody in this news
>> group
>> |share their experience with the 3D graphic? Especially with the intell
>> |845gm chip. I did look in the archives but did not find much.
>>
>> Mine has all been with older Matrox boards,
>> and newer ATI and nVidia boards, but under
>> XFree86.  In all cases, we found much better
>> performance by downloading proprietary drivers
>> from the chipmakers.  We usually had to tweak
>> their custom parameters, and we generally found
>> it best to start by running the vendor supplied
>> config program as a starting point.
>>
>> Currently we don't need 3D, and life has been
>> much easier. 8^)
>>
>> -Miles

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468