SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:40:00 -0600
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

> During the installation process of SL 6x from a bootable installation
> DVD, there is an opportunity to configure in detail the selection of the
> actual applications and utilities ("packages") that one wants.  If for
> some reason an error is made, in part due to the lack of a confirmation
> prompt if the install widget is hit, and the system proceeds to install
> producing a bootable system from the machine local hard drive, is there
> a way to get back to this section of the install process from a running
> system (as root) using the same DVD?
>
> I do not want to use the add/remove software pull down menu item that
> seems to require repositories over a network, not from the local machine
> DVD -- unless the add/remove software GUI utility can be pointed to the
> boot-able install DVD.  I also do not want to re-install from scratch.
>
> I typically do use the update process over the network, as well as the
> GUI add/remove software from repositories -- or yum from a command line
> -- for specific applications/utilities, but not for the long laundry
> list during an initial installation.

You could use a kickstart file to "script" the original install.  This
makes it very easy to "reinstall" to the original .  The kickstart file
defines what packages are to be installed.  One advantage is that there is
no opportunity to click poorly as the whole install is hands off.

kickstart will not help you fix up a install it will only help with the
original install being very reproducable .

-Connie Sieh

Yasha Karant >