SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:42:28 +0800
Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> * Tux Distro ([log in to unmask]) [20070620 20:25]:
>>
>>> http://www.tuxdistro.com/torrents-details.php?id=346 avia
>>> BitTorrent nd the only other thing you would need is the Free
>>> VMware player.  We hope some may find this useful.
>> Please make it available via other means than BitTorrent as
>> well (e.g. HTTP and/or FTP).  BitTorrent usage is not permitted
>> everywhere.  Thank you.
>
> I started to download the torrent earlier, it's 911Mb.
>
> I'm not sure how many sites will ftp/http host files this large, as ftp/http

Debian Stable's 3x4 Gbyte DVD images, for each of several architectures.
There are also CD images. Debian also does torrent and jigdo (I think
jigdo's best, it allows a user-chosen local mirror).

> are very resource hungry (from the server side) and also suffer from download
> retries when primitive non-retrying clients are used.
>
> Bittorrent is the most efficient way to deliver files this large.

Yeah, right.
My ISP caches the file (or provides it on its downloads site) and Fred
uses bittorrent do pull it through the ISP's boundaries again. Doesn't
the ISP just like that.

_I_ looked at opening the firewall to bittorrent and decided it's too
much trouble, The Boss could not have bittorrent at work.

We are required to control what people at work download. Filesharing
isn't allowed.

--

Cheers
John