SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2015 05:08:58 -0800
On 01/29/2015 08:41 AM, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 08:30 -0800, Joseph Areeda wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been getting random crashes of X on my development workstation with
>> messages like:
>>
>> on console: cpu #X stuck in [X:...]
>> .xsession-errors contain things like: "gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11
>> (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0."
>> /var/log/messages has "NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0 has fallen off the bus."
>>
>> Most things I've been able to find suggest a driver vs. kernel problem
>> so I updated to the latest driver from NVidia (346.35) with no luck.
>>
>> Have others seen this?  Any hints?  Could it be the NVidia card failing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
> Hi,
>
> I have seen this once before with a persons system. The issue in that
> case was a bad physical connection. Removing the card, cleaning the
> connections and reseating the card corrected the issue.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

This took a while because I had to finish a project and couldn't afford
random reboots, but I took Phil's advice and used the professional
connector cleaner AKA pencil eraser on the connectors, reseated the
card.  I have now gone 4 days without an incident whereas I was forced
to reboot 3 or 4 times per day.

Thanks Phil!

Joe