SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:04:31 +0000
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Michael Joy wrote:

> I think a point should be made, that crc checksumming the ISO's for
> installing off an nfs mount is redundant. The RPM's are all
> checksummed by the anaconda installer automatically during
> installation.

I can certainly confirm that.  Some time back we had a network switch
which was occasionally corrupting data, and the first we knew about it
was that redhat installations were failing, with an RPM checksum error
being reported.

(After a firmware upgrade of the switch, the problem went away, and we
haven't seen it again since.)

Nevertheless, the original poster is right that the RH manual *does*
document the possibility to install from ISO images read via NFS: at
the foot of this page
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-begininstall-nfs.html

Most of the responses seem to have been entirely tangential to this
point, suggesting all kinds of reasons not to want to do that, rather
than giving any kind of explanation why this documented method is not
working for SL.

best regards