SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:21:08 +0200
[log in to unmask] a écrit :

> Hi, dear SL users,
>
> I have intalled SL 4.1 x86_64 on my 8+1 cluter system.
> On my cluster system, the rshd on the computing nodes have to be started.
> Well it is totally internal network so don't ask me about the security
> problem. 8)
> rshd is not started on the file/job-queuing server.
>
> However, even though I think I have configured the services correctly,
> and I have restarted the xinetd, and I have put the trusted hosts in
> /etc/hosts.equiv, and the mode of the file is rw-r--r--,
> and the firewalls on the computing nodes are totally turned off,
> I still get connection refused message when trying to rsh.

Hi,

you may check somes points :
- does your /etc/hosts.allow|deny allow your machines?
- does it uses PAM?
If yes (for PAM), I think you need to add 'rsh' to the /etc/secuetty file.
For the first point , appart if you do not set restrictive access at all,
you should have entries like:
in.rshd: <network/mask>

And do you check the messages generated by rsh on your target
machine?
It may be in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

Oh, you don't forget to install rsh-server on your target nodes?

Hope it will help.

Regards,
--
Yannick Perret