SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:52:29 -0700
Without actually reading current kernel source code, I have found on the
web:

iommu=soft. It deactivates the hardware IOMMU (which causes numerous DMA
errors on my system) and uses a software IOMMU instead.

A colleague had to use iommu=soft with a UEFI enabled linux on a
motherboard that did not have SecureBoot enabled in order for the UEFI
enable linux to work with the USB 2 port.  Evidently, USB 2 is not
regarded as UEFI "secure" and has to enabled/used in a particular method
for a USB 2 port to be usable on a UEFI machine.  USB 3 works fine.

However, the software IOMMU evidently runs noticeable "slower" than the
hardware IOMMU (that does not function).  Has anyone experienced this
issue and does anyone have a suggested workaround?

Yasha Karant