SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:17:31 -0700
I apologize for posting this item to the SL list, but I need
professional information that I have not been able to find from unbiased
(not vendor) sources.

My institution seems to be dedicated to the use of  applications for
institutional management purposes (not research) from proprietary
for-profit vendors (often licensed for high fees), particularly
applications that only can be installed and run under a Microsoft
environment. In most cases to date, we have been able to require
compliance with ISO, IETF, W3C, and similar open standards to allow at
least interfacing with open systems environments (such as SL).

At present, there is a demand to move to a document management system,
and a prime candidate appears to be Hyland OnBase.  I have found:

The OnBase software has been designed to run within a Microsoft Windows
environment
(http://www.hyland.com/en/product/deploying-onbase/on-premises.aspx) but
have not been able to find details on two issues:

1. Real (not vendor advertised) compatibility with open systems, at
least from the client applications, including any MacOS X clients;

2. Security compromises and issues, vital because it is likely that
there will be direction that confidential personnel records will be
moved to this system.

Off list, any information or references will be appreciated.  Again, my
apologies for this posting.

Yasha Karant