SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:07:43 -0700
This weekend at a motel with free wifi, the nameserver was broken
and spewing some incorrect IP addresses ( wikipedia = 1.0.0.0
for example ).  Traffic to numeric IP addresses flowed normally.

I attempted a workaround by putting known-good nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf .  Unfortunately, I still saw a lot of borked
DNS resolution, and surfing and pinging sites that I had attempted
before the fix resulted in the same errors.  The errors persisted
over a reboot.

I recently converted from RH9 2.4.22 to SL4.4 2.6.9 , and I don't
know how the new system does DNS resolution (it appears to be in
the kernel instead of a separate program like named) and how SELINUX
affects the mix.  Is there a cache file like /var/named/named.ca on
the old system?  If so, how do I zero it out?  Or is SELINUX
preventing the kernel from seeing my changed /etc/resolv.conf file?

I am no longer at the motel, but if I get a useful solution I would
like to test it against a intentionally incorrect nameserver and
make sure the solution works for me.  Are there any intentionally
incorrect nameservers (as opposed to all the intermittently incorrect
ones) out there to test with?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993