SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:55:20 +0800
Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 08:53:10AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>> My immediate problem is my preferred browser is Mozilla - er -
>> Seamonkey. I couldn't find it with yum, nor with Google, nor can I see
>> that anyone's asked about it for SL5.
>
> Here's the kinda-sad story, from an up-to-a-week-ago Seamonkey
> ( -er- Mozilla ) user.  The Seamonkey RPMs (from elsewhere) tend to
> step on top of the Firefox RPMs.  I'm sure someone smarter than I
> could resolve the dependency conflicts.  But you need to run Firefox
> 1.5.x from the SL5 distro, because it comes packaged with gecko-libs,
> which some of the other packages depend on.  If you don't use the
> canonical packages, the automated updates get scrambled.

I applied a little force: --nodeps --replacefiles.

There was only one file involved. I suspect upgrading firefox may be
less than automatic, but I'm used to breaking stuff.

> This "wise" choice was apparently made by the Upstream Vendor.
> So for now, we are kinda stuck with Firefox 1.5.x as our browser.
>
> The story is only kinda sad because Firefox isn't too bad, and it
> installs plugins ( -er- extensions ) very nicely compared to the
> hassles of Mozilla -er- Seamonkey.  I am growing to like it better.

The extensions I care about are equally easy. I really like adblock+,
especially considering I'm on the Wrong Side of a modem.

I'm quite happy with Firefox, but Mozilla has always had some features I
prefer. The Window menu for example. I use both, plus Konqueror, lynx,
links.

> I still need to remember how to make it pop up a text window running
> "mutt" when it is given a "mailto", but I will configure that Real
> Soon Now (after installing w3m, and finishing configuring osiris,
> and installing some CAD packages, etc, etc.).

I could never come to terms with mutt, and I prefer links (the real
links, not that pretender, elinks) to w3m. Built properly, links does
GUI on the framebuffer console (and if you're not careful, in X even
when started from the framebuffer console).

> SL5 is different.  But after a few package updates, and some getting
> used to, I think I will like it better.  Network Manager is awesome,
> for example.

I'm hoping someone's sorted out laptops, but that's for another time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait