SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Serguei Mokhov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:20:20 -0400
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Connie Sieh<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Serguei Mokhov wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Keith Lofstrom<[log in to unmask]> wro=
>> te:
>>>
>>> This affects us. =A0Imagine that all the CentOS users show up to us=
>>>
>>> Scientific Linux. =A0Imagine all their maintainers and developers s=
>>> how
>>> up, too.
>>
>> This is a good thing for SL, isn't it? Increase the user base,
>> I am sure Troy and Connie could use some help from the developers,
>> and then lead to the world dominance of SL :) This affects us
>> positively, IMHO, though perhaps there will be less "competition".
>
> I think CentOS is good for the community.  And I never considered it
> "competition".  We always welcome help.
>
> I do not think CentOS is going away.  We have talked to them in the past
> about us helping them to make CentOS 6 and then use CentOS 6 as a basis
> for SL.  No word on if this will or will not happen.

I think such a collaboration is a very good idea, actually,
if it happens. CentOS and SL would be more interoperable
this way. BTW, I am not against CentOS in anyways but
precisely for the reasons below at our Uni we decided to
move to SL instead.

> There may be some users who do not like the uncertainly of the future of a
> open source project.  Clearly all the press that this CentOS issue has
> gotten has made people think about this topic more. If these users are
> uncomfortable with this then they should move to a product where they feel
> has a strong future.  That decision about knowing about the future is
> where the art is.

This is the exactly the reason at Concordia University, Faculty of
Engineering and CS we are moving to SL for our teaching and research
machines and the supporting servers (to be over ~1100 machines). :)
And we appreciate your efforts and dedication to the project and its
support!

Thanks,

-s