SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey D Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:09:59 -0700
On Friday 18 April 2008 8:54:02 am Mark Stodola wrote:
> Larry,
>
> You can just delete the entries from grub.conf, no commands need to be
> run after that.
> You also might be interested in the installonlyn (I think that is the
> name) yum plugin.  It lets you limit how many old kernels to keep
> installed.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> P. Larry Nelson wrote:
> > Here's what I assume to be a simple grub question....
> >
> > On one of my systems, /boot is getting quite full with all the
> > kernel updates and I'd like to delete most of the old ones,
> > keeping a couple of the most recent ones.  Does one then need
> > to delete the corresponding lines for the deleted kernels in
> > grub.conf?
> >
> > Does anything have to be done after that so grub is aware, like
> > one had to do with the old lilo.conf, i.e., run lilo after any
> > changes that were made?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > - Larry

It's been my experience that the entries in grub.conf get automatically
removed as long as you use rpm (or yum) to remove the old kernels.  I don't
know at what release this started, but it has been true for a long time now.

Jeffrey Anderson    			| [log in to unmask]
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory	|
Office: 50A-5104E			| Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208			| Fax: 510 486-6808