SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 2015 07:30:00 -0400
On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 23 May 2015 08:13:40 CEST, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have a src rpm.  What is the easiest way to go into it,
>>edit the spec file, get back out?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>-T
>

> As your ordinary user (not root):
>
> $ rpm -i whatever.src.rpm
> $ cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
> $ vim/emacs/gedit whatever.spec
> $ rpmbuild -bs whatever.spec

Even better:

   mkdir package-srpm
   cd package-srpm
   rpm2cpio package.src.rpm | cpio -id

That gets you the relevant components, in a directory you can put in
git and manipulate and save your changes and do builds with. I've
several dozen examples of such setups at https://github.com/nkadel/,
with '.gitignore' set up to ignore tarballs and unzipped source code,
and set up to build the packages with 'mock' so they get built in a
pristine environment, rather than necessarily in your local possibly
hand-modified environment.

There is a pretty good example at
https://github.com/nkadel/subversion-1.7.x-srpm.

> Remeber that you should normally increase the Release tag number and add an entry in the %changelog section towards the end. You can alsorun rpmlint on the spec file to do some sanity checks.

And if you patch something, do please publish your patches to the
original project owner or the maintainer of the distribution you're
working with. One of the best things about free software and open
source is that when one of us fixes something, we let other people
know so they can include the fix or point out "oh, no, you've created
a different problem!"