SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2014 03:03:17 -0800
On 2014-12-13 09:16, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 12/13/2014 09:02 AM, Santu Roy wrote:
>> wine 1.7 does not work in SL7, how can i run  windows file in SL7
> Assuming you have a license for MS Windows if one is required and enforced by
> your nation state (it is in the USA, EU, etc.), a very effective alternative is
> to load Oracle VirtualBox (licensed for free), load MS Windows under VirtualBox,
> and then install whatever MS Windows applications you need within MS Windows
> under VirtualBox.  Unlike Wine that has some issues with executing various MS
> Windows applications, if the application runs in the release of MS Windows you
> have, it will run under MS Windows under Virtual Box.

I'd change that last line to "most likely it will run ..."

> Yasha Karant

There are some cheap fun little toys/tools for people who are into things RF
within the 25MHz through 1800 MHz frequency range called DVB-T dongles. The ones
with RTL2832U chips can be used as samplers for Software Defined Radios.

If you can get one to work on a VirtualBox virtualized machine at its usual full
sample rate capability, 2.4 Msps, please let me know. In my experience the
virtualized USB bus is vastly too slow to work.

This holds with Win7 hosts and SL6.6 hosts and VirtualBox as of about this time
last year when I last played with it.

So I'd say "most likely" without the implied assurance of 100% such as your turn
of phrase suggests.

{^_-}   Joanne