SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:12:19 +0100
On 16/07/13 20:40, Yasha Karant wrote:
> Thank you for that clarification.  ATrpms was "required" to get support
> for one of the other packages installed and/or applications we needed to
> build (I forget which).
>
> Prior to your response, I located the offending RPM and performed a
> command line
>
> rpm -e live-2012.02.04-1.el6.x86_64
>
> No other dependencies were displayed upon execution of the above command
> (if memory serves, the -e flag will then respond packages A, B, ... need
> also to be removed and queries before proceeding if rpm finds such
> dependencies), and thus it completed.
>
> vlc 2.0.6 production then did install from RPMfusion, and now does work.
>
> Presumably, if I downloaded the development versions of all of the
> packages that vlc 2.0.6 rpm used, I could build vlc 2.0.7 .  At the
> moment, this is not necessary.

If you insist: but there's a ready-built version in 'testing' that is
unlikely to be worse. I don't think it's likely to explode. You could
always see if it wants to bring in anything that you deem insanitary
before going down the DIY route,

And again, it's my understanding that you ought to be careful about
mixing packages from ATrpms and rpmfusion.  They tend to cover similar
areas of application. and individually do it well, but mixing does cause
problems.