SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:25:33 -0600
Mark Stodola wrote:
> Doug Benjamin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  Does anyone on this mailing list know when SL 5.3 will be released
>> now that Red Hat as released
>> Enterprise 5.3?  I ask because I have assembled computer with the new
>> Intel i7 CPU and the
>> Asus P6T motherboard and inexpensive ATI chip video card.  The system
>> works fine with Ubuntu 8.10
>> and Fedora 10, but not SL 5.2.   The system managers require the
>> machine to run SL.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>
>>  Doug Benjamin
>>
> I'm pretty sure Troy has 5.3 released for alpha testing right now.
> Check the devel mailing list archives for the announcement earlier today.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

You are correct ... although I'm still writing the e-mail for i386 right
now.
The alpha release of SL 5.3 is out now for both i386 and x86_64.
Quick Notes:
It is only for network install, no CD or DVD installs.
It does have all the RedHat rpm's compiled.  (Unusual for an alpha)
It appears to work fairly well.  I just reinstalled my desktop with it
and everything I'm using is working.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group