SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:42:53 -0700
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 03:02 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> I should also note that kernel-ml is not for production use but it's
>> been quite stable and Alan has been doing a good job of keeping it up
>> to date. :-)
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
>>
>> Akemi

> I have done a search for "production" on http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ, with
> one result:
>
> 2. What is the advantage of a kABI-tracking kmod over a DKMS enabled driver
> Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS) is another packaging method for
> delivering automatic 3rd party kernel driver updates. The main disadvantage
> of DKMS for Enterprise Linux is that the driver is automatically recompiled
> (by the DKMS utility) for each new kernel meaning that the system must
> contain the appropriate development packages and compiler, something that is
> not always desirable on a production Enterprise Linux system.
>
>  Is the above all you mean by "kernel-ml is not for
>  production use" in reference to kernel 2.6.35?

No, I was not referring to the mainline kernel available from
kernel.org. It was about the *kernel-ml* package from elrepo.org.  I
was hoping everybody would read the link I provided in my post before
using the kernel-ml package. Here once again:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

In the Notes section:

"These packages are provided As-Is with no implied warranty or
support. Using the kernel-ml may expose your system to security,
performance and/or data corruption issues. Since timely updates may
not be available from the ELRepo Project, the end user has the
ultimate responsibility for deciding whether to continue using the
kernel-ml packages in regular service."

That is what meant by "not for production use". Of course you can use
it as far as you know what you are doing/using. The kernel-ml package
was intended for hardware testing that may not be covered by the kmod
packages.

However, further discussion regarding the ELRepo packages must go to
the elrepo mailing lists: