SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:55:59 -0500
Advice: Buy a new big disk and use rsync to make a copy of disks.
run it every night using cron.

Our insurance agent has us set him up with a back up on separate computer.
Theives broke into his office and took everyting.  If we hadn't put his old
disks on the self - he would be out of business.

This is where it gets interesting.   If it is like SL5.6 you are done because
you can't become root due to some problem in the code.   All you get is a
couple of messages.   This was a problem I have had due to disk failures in
the last year and on my wish list for 6.0.

I really think this needs to be fixed.

Every Unix and Linux system I have used in the last 30 years you were able to
become root in a system error.   Even System V.

If you are in a corner you can fix almost any problem but you need to be able
to set user to root.

Good Luck

Larry Linder