SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:38:23 -0600
All my NIS clients point to nismaster.blah.blah.blah
where nismaster is a CNAME in my DNS for the system that's running
the NIS service.  It's been like that for nearly 20 years
with no problems.  Plus there's an NIS slave server with its
own CNAME of nisslave.blah.blah.blah

I use hostnames and CNAMES instead of IP addresses in case
the actual server has to be moved to a different host and thus
has a new IP address.  Don't want to have to go around to all
the NIS clients and re-key the IP address of the NIS server.

- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | IT Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group