SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Yannick Patois <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yannick Patois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:01:58 +0100
Hi,

Stefano Stalio wrote:
> I was trying to instal SL308 on a TYAN server mounting a TYAN S5372
> motherboard. The two gigabit NICs are intel 92563EB.

I recently had the same problem and gave up. It seems that the e1000
module in the 2.4 kernel doesnt works fine with this card, if the kernel
is SMP.

If you boot a non SMP kernel, fine, it works, and that's the reason why
you can install the SL308 on it (the install kernel is non SMP), but on
reboot, the installed kernel is SMP and it fails.

I also tried with a recompiled version of the e1000 driver from latests
sources without any success.

What matters is the amount of dropped packets: you'll see that most of
the packets are dropped, which likely tells that some interruption is
not handled properly in the kernel, so that the packet buffer overflow
because the kernel never receive the interrupt telling it to read the
buffer. At least that what I could understand.

Unfortunately, I have no cure to this.

We switched to SL4 (440 support the interface, 430 works if you rebuild
a module for it), our goal was to run LCG Worker Nodes, and with Quattor
they (should) run fine under SL4-x86_64 (retaining full 32 bit
compatibility).

Cheers,

	Yannick