SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Mark Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:31:55 +0000

Ken Teh wrote:
Hello

We use a local mirror at Durham, the method I use is as follows. We have
a local mirror of the SL4 tree as well as a local software repository.
In order to control the contents of  /etc/yum.repos.d we DO NOT install
the yum-conf rpm, (this is done to stop the yum configuration files from
being accidentally updated)  but rather copy down onto each machine a
set of re-prepared repo files into /etc/yum.repos.d. This happens as the
first stage of /etc/rc.local.

We then have a script that downloads a file via http that contains a
list of local packages along with a time stamp (in the form of
yyyymmddhhmm) of when each package were added to the repository.  We
store the date the local script was last ran in a file called
/etc/lastupdate, the script parses the file containing the list of local
packages and compares the time stamp of each package  if the time stamp
is newer than timestamp in /etc/lastupdate yum is used to install the
local package.  The last thing the script does is to write a new time
stamp to /etc/lastupdate  The script can also be used to remove packages
from the system as well.  /etc/rc.local also does a couple of other
things such as set the correct permissions on /tmp  as I have had  some
third party rpms set the permissions of /tmp to 755 as opposed to 1777
as well as running a yum update to pick up any updates.

Hope this helps

Mark.

> Is it possible to set up a local yum repository for add-on software?  Do
> you have recipes for doing this that I could read?
>
> I'm putting a cluster of machines together.  I have to install additional
> software.  At present, I do this via a common NFS mount which is fine.  The
> amount of work required to keep this up-to-date would be the same as
> keeping
> a yum repo up-todate.  However, this does not work so well for add-ons that
> are sharable libraries.  Here it seems more appropriate to install the
> library rpm and have yum handle any updates.
>
> So, the question is: Is it possible to set up a partial yum repo?  I
> have in mind something along the lines of the sl-contrib repo.  I'd fill
> the
> repo with updated rpms and let yum do the work.
>
> Thanks!  Ken

- --
Mark Nelson - [log in to unmask]

IPPP, Department of Physics, University of Durham,
Science Laboratories, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LE
Office: +44 (0)191 334 3811, Direct Dial: +44 (0)191 334 3653

PGP Key: http://www.ippp.dur.ac.uk/~mn/pgp_key.txt
This mail is for the addressee only