SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Donald E Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald E Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:07:46 -1000
This is a little bit older card, but it is the standard e1000 chipset, SX fiber to connect to our Extreme Networks switch. It worked on the 2.6.34 kernel, which was stock on SL 4.3, but anything past that it would get the dreaded TX Timeout. Originally I found some of the internet reasons why, well lets say, bizarre, so I tested them in a different box with several different distros, including regluar redhat, and I came up with the conclusion that on a 4.3 box, I couldn't go past 2.6.34, otherwise it broke the card. Even if I compiled my own driver, it wouldn't help. At one point I did some brute force hacks on the driver file to get it moderately working, but still would timeout when under a high load (it is a gige card after all :-)...  One post on a kernel discusison board, I found some developer saying that, yes, it was an issue, but it didn't pose that big of a problem for "most" users...

- Don