SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:42:26 +0100
On 12/30/2007 04:05 PM, Niels Walet wrote:
> I seem to have some real problems with font display in the recent version
>  of
> firefox on SL 4.5 (if I install firefox2 by hand, no such problems occur)
> . I
> tried both i386 and x86_64 versions, and the problem seems to be indentic
> al,
> see the attached screenshot of "about:plugins". If you highlite text (by
> right clicking and dragging) the tex display changes as well, from very
> compact to extremeley widely spaced, or vice-versa. Also the mouse cursor
>
> doesn't always appear at the insertion point. (Usually at the end of text
>  in
> a text-box, even if the inesrtion point is in the middle). This seems to
> occur on a few computers, but they all have similar installations.
> I am really baffled! Anyone have a suggestion?

I've heard of similar things due to some "extensions" getting broken. As
per the screenshot, you seem to have quite a few installed. I would
suggest to first make sure they are all updated, then later selectively
disable them and see whether this fixes the problem. As a first shot,
you might want to compare the list of extensions between "working" and
"nonworking" machines (unless you share your home directories/FF
profiles between these machines, and run identical versions of FF..).

Second guess:
bad hinting in the font used for these lines?. You should be able to
stylesheet (FF2: chrome://global/skin/plugins.css). Check which font
would get used for "div#findmore" (in your example), check where it
comes from, compare to "working" machine. Or as a first stab, play
Colors » Advanced), pick some good-looking fonts.

Hope this helps
Jan