SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:08:07 +0200
Hi Bobby,

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Bobby Barnett wrote:

> Hi Troy,
>
> I have been using SL5 for about 6 months without any problems.  I
> installed this with CD's downloaded from your site.  My machine is a Sun
> workstation with 2 core and two disks that were linked together during
> this install.

what does "linked together" mean? MD? Hardware RAID? LVM?

> I was in a hurry to logout on Friday morning and instead of logging out,
> I hit shutdown instead.  Now I can not boot the system.  I get the error
> fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc
> [FAILED]

It's looking for a filesystem on an unpartitioned disk. That's not a
standard setup (and one that Red Hat wouldn't support).

> I can't seem to work around this.  I briefly tried the rescue disk
> without much success. This computer is for protein crystallographic
> refinement and it is a one man shop, and unfortunately without a linux
> support staff.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Universities... ;-) Could you try the rescue disk again? Choose "skip"
when it asks whether it should try to detect and mount the filesystems,
and let us know what's there/left - content of /proc/partitions, output
of "fisk -l" for sda/b/c/d, output of "e2label" for all partitions,...
If some partition seems likely to contain your /etc/fstab, mount it
read-only and retrieve fstab. ...

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand