SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:42:55 -0700
Precisely my point.  Compatibility modes often are incomplete,
unfaithful, and unreliable.  I am not singing the praises of any new
fundamental change in a basic kernel utility/configuration entity that
has been integrated into many application and configuration
packages/environments/situations .  However, if the change is forced
upon the community, then developers either must maintain two (or more)
fundamentally incompatible versions (e.g., native STL and the rest for
an ANSI open systems environment and MFC for a proprietary monopoly
environment), or select one and let those lacking the environment to
find another solution (e.g., VirtualBox to run native MS Windows as a
guest/application to run a monopoly only application or environment
under a Linux host).  Admittedly, the change coming to the linux kernel
(unless the change is abandoned) is not as drastic as having to use the
monopoly MFC, but it certainly could prove to be highly inconvenient.

My timeline question was less directed towards application end user
environments such as KDE or Gnome, but more towards actual fundamental
kernel or Xwindows internals and the APIs required to use these
fundamentals.  Does anyone have an average time interval from history
when a major change was declared stable production in the fundamental
internals and then actually appeared in RHEL production (as it appears
RHEL is no longer taboo)?  It is Red Hat that determines this timeline,
not the clone distributions such as SL or CentOS.

Yasha Karant