SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:58:18 +0900
On 12/03/2011 11:02 AM, 岩本海童 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to change my default language. (SL 6.1)
>
> [userA@localhost]$ echo $LANG
>    ja_JP.UTF-8
> [userA@localhost]$ su -
> [root@localhost]# vim /etc/sysconfig/i18n
>    #LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
>    LANG="en_US.utf8"
> [root@localhost]# reboot
>
> After the reboot, I logged in as a general user.  But language setting
> is not changed.
>
> [userA@localhost]$ echo $LANG
>    ja_JP.UTF-8
>
> If I switch to another user, language setting become changed.
>
> [userA@localhost]$ su - userB
> [userB@localhost]$ echo $LANG
>    en_US.utf8
>
> Why such a problem happened ?
> Please show me how solve the problem.
>
> (I'm sorry for my poor English.)

A private user's language settings and the system-wide language settings
can be different.

If you have logged in using GDM (graphical desktop to Gnome, XFCE, KDE,
etc) with a Japanese language setting then you probably have a file
called ~/.config/user-dirs.locale with the contents "ja_JP" and maybe
other things referenced by $saved_lang in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh.

This can pass the terminal a LANG variable that is different from the
system-wide setting automatically when you log in or "su -" to the  user.

To run a single command in a specific language but leave the language
setting unchanged you can do this:
	env LANG=en_US.utf8 [command you want to run]

To change the language setting for just one session, you can do this:
	export LANG=en_US.utf8

To change the shell language setting per-user forever you can do this:
	echo LANG=en_US.utf8 >> ~/.bashrc

日本語のSLユーザーグループ存知ませんか?
https://groups.google.com/group/sl-users-jp
グーグルが面白くないかもしりませんが、いろんな日本語を読めるユーザーがそ