SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:47:22 -0500
Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I run SL5 almost exclusively on my machines, but I recommend Ubuntu
> for the newbies that I work with.   The latest version, Hardy Heron
> 8.04LTS (long term support) is out, and I booted it from a live CD.
>
> 8.04 is built on the latest Gnome and the latest 7.3 X.org .  The new
> X.org fixes some pesky problems that cropped up when Linux moved to
> HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), like recognizing hotplug video
> devices such as computer projectors.  The Radeon chipset on my
> Thinkpad T30 requires a reboot to recognize a projector with the
> X.org 7.1.1 (12 May 2006) that comes with the Scientific Linux 5.0 .
>
> 5.1 and 5.2(beta) also run 7.1.X X.org, right?
>
> This leads to a prediction question - involving crystal balls and
> tea leaves, perhaps.  How likely is it that T.U.V. EL 5.3 (and thus
> SL5.3) will upgrade to X.org 7.3?

Not very likely.
RHEL strives for stability, and changing the core of X up that far seems like
something more than TUV usually does.  That doesn't mean that a bugfix might
not fix the problem, but the whole of xorg is most likely to stay where it is.

> If that is not likely to happen before EL6, what kind of pain is it
> to make a local upgrade to X.org 7.3 and maintain it outside of the
> automated update process?

If you already have the rpm's, it's not that hard to make it into a local
upgrade.
But making and keeping those up to date is a chore.  Jean-Paul Chaput currently
has them, as he said in his e-mail.  So you might want to use his if you want
to go along that route.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group