SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:58:49 +0800
Connie Sieh wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>
>> On Jul 28, 2009, at 20:04, Billy Crook wrote:

>>> It is assumed that anyone skilled enough to safely be able to take
>>> care of their own updates would know how to disable the behaviour of
>>> those updates being applied automatically.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> Those who aren't, won't, and will be better off for it.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Connie, please defer changes in this area to SL6 at least. This has
>> been SL's default behaviour, and completely reasonable IMHO, since SL3
>> - and for 2.5 years  now on SL5. No point in breaking things for sites
>> that adapted to the way things are in early 2007 - to please a single
>> SL user having a different preference for his PC at home and speaking
>> up now.
>
> I have no intention of changing this behavior.  All I was going to do is
> see if there was a easier way to remove yumautoupdate .

Even Microsoft doesn't go to this trouble to force users to take updates.

If there was a menu item to "configure automatic updates," I would
applaud that, and I would have found it. My preferred choice would be
"Download all updates at 04:00 but do not apply any."

That's exactly what I do with Debian, and it's what I do with CentOS
where up2date is available. In each case, I simply added a cron job.

As I've implied already, if I'm running an Internet-facing web server,
timely application of security fixes is important. For a development
system, the only fixes that are urgent are those that impede my
development, so integer-overflows causing a crash (as in the python
updates) might matter, but security is addressed by other means.

Even with a mission-critical internet-facing web server, I'd not want
random updates occurring at strange times. The time for applying updates
is when time is scheduled to do them. If there is going to be any
interruption to service, let's schedule it for a time when it's least
harmful. Let's schedule it for when someone with the skills to get the
system back up is available, just in case.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait