SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:38:20 +0100
On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:17:06AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Eva Myers wrote:
> >
> >Now a few more minor issues and questions:
> >
> >SL5 does not include the latest version of R.  Which of the R rpms at
> >http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/ would be appropriate?  There is no
> >RHEL5 repository there at the moment.  Would any of the fedora
> >repositories do?
> >

> That is on my list of things to do.  I messed up on the rpm spec file for
> the R that is in SL5, so I might as well just go to the new one, before
> everyone get's entrenched with the older one I have in there.
>
> Anyway, it's on my whiteboard of things to do ... but at the moment, the
> whiteboard is extremely full.

Thank you!  I was only asking because R updates so rapidly that the
only way to keep up with the latest version seems to be to use the
Bristol repository, and as we are a statistics department there is
often demand for the very latest R.

> >The default Gnome background with the picture of the atom seems to
> >have disappeared, which was a bit surprising when I first tried out
> >the SL5 machine.  Also, the Inbox Monitor applet has vanished and
> >presumably been replaced by xbiff, so I'll need to work out how xbiff
> >can be made to run for all users when they log in.
> >

> What do you mean that the default background "disappeared"?  On a SL5
> machine, you should have what I call a "grey swirl atom".  That dissapeared?

I think this is an issue with switching between SL4 and SL5 machines
and having the same home directory on both machines.  When no-one is
logged into the SL5 machine, or when root is logged in, the background
is the grey swirl atom.  When I log into the SL4 machine, the
background is a slightly different atom (with the nucleus in the top
right corner of the screen) - under Preferences/Desktop Background it
is simply called Default.  When I log into the SL5 machine, the
background is plain white.  If, on either machine, I select a
background like Flower Garden which exists under both SL4 and SL5,
then it will show up if I log into the other machine.
Eva.