SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:55:56 -0500
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 29/11/12 13:14, Freak Trick wrote:
>> The developers at Scala themselves offer an RPM in the downloads section
>> of the official website, but it conflicts with the jline.jar file of the
>> JVM. I have never done/maintained packages. Let me check out some
>> resources over the net and see if I can make a useful one. If I can, I'd
>> definately look to contribute it.
>
> Why make it so difficult? ;-)
>
> I would go first go here:
> <http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6830>
>
> If I find.el{5,6} packages here, I would go and install the Fedora EPEL
> repository (yum install yum-conf-epel, iirc).
>
> If there are no EPEL packages available, I would find the appropriate
> package version and probably choose the builds for oldest Fedora
> releases (EL6 is based on Fedora 12/Fedora 13) and download the
> .src.rpm.  Then I would install mock and rpmbuild (yum install mock
> rpm-build) ... then you just do:
>
>   $ mock -r epel-6-x86_64 --rebuild /path/to/scala-*.src.rpm
>
> (replace x86_64 with i386 to get a 32bit build ... for other "targets",
> see the files in /etc/mock)
>
> After a little while, you'll get what you need in /var/lib/mock ...
> ready to be installed with 'yum localinstall <rpms>'
>
> Using mock will download and install all the needed stuff for compiling
> the src.rpm in a chroot in /var/lib/mock ... so you'll need some space
> there to be able to make this work.  But the log files in this directory
> are usually quite helpful as well.

mock needs some attention to set up. There's a bug in the newest
release that seems to force the use of the fully qualified path to the
.spec file or SRPM you're using, which was driving me nuts until I
worked it out.It also uses the CentOS mirror repositories, by default,
and needs tweaking to use Scientific Linux repositories. It's also
useless for genuine RHEL releases other than the one you're currently
running, unless you set up local RHEL mirrors, such as setting up
reposync mirrors with all the channels activated..

Also, by default, mock includes the full EPEL repository, and dumps
bulky caches in /var/cache/mock and /var/lib/mock without any
expiration or cleanup. So if you're using mock, be careful to allocate
some significant space for those.