SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:09:33 -0400
Francois Colonna wrote:
> That is not true as any reader can do the job. That is the power of
> wikis.

and any spambot can hack a wiki, you have obviously never administered one.
http://www.google.com/search?q=wiki+spam

> I am afraid that nobody here want to improve things.

lies... busy professionals, and volunteers do what they can with their
free time. it is not a perfect world.

> May I recall you that the Asus laptop I bought in July has still no
> sound card working on SL !

Whose fault is that? You have bleeding edge hardware and are unhappy
when last years RHEL based OS does not have the latest trivial sound
driver? Grab a the latest Fedora, Ubuntu or Knoppix live cd & see if you
hardware is recognized or pull the sources from a repository & build
yourself new kernel & sound driver. SL is meant to follow RH Enterprise
Server development, providing a stable platform for servers and by
design prefers stability over the latest developments. Laptops have
always been troublesome due to poorly documented, proprietary new
hardware and their are just as many laptop howtos which attempt to
address the pitfalls. Sound is not a priority or required service on
most servers. Suggest you figure it out & publish a howto on
http://www.linux-laptop.net/ like hundreds of other dedicated linux
laptop users. Contrary to your complaints, the original post to this
thread was well written & contained useful tips about getting new
hardware working in SL. Regards -Art