SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:35:48 +0800
Bobby Barnett wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> I have been using SL5 for about 6 months without any problems.  I installed this with CD's downloaded from your site.  My machine is a Sun workstation with 2 core and two disks that were linked together during this install.
>
> I was in a hurry to logout on Friday morning and instead of logging out, I hit shutdown instead.  Now I can not boot the system.  I get the error
> fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc
> [FAILED]
>
> I can't seem to work around this.  I briefly tried the rescue disk without much success. This computer is for protein crystallographic refinement and it is a one man shop, and unfortunately without a linux support staff.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reboot the rescue CD. Allow it to find and mount existing installations.
Do you feel like you're getting conflicting advice about now? (I'm
right, he's wrong!).

For some reason, your system is trying to fsck a whole disk, not a
partition. Probably, there's an error in /etc/fstab.

Your rescue system should tell you where it's mounted stuff. Use the
chroot command to go there:
chroot /mnt/sysimage # or whatever
vim /etc/fstab -c /hdc
# If you're trying to mount /dev/sdc, change it to /dev/sdc1. Use the
arrows to position to the "c" than type "a1" and press <ESC>
If the result looks with, enter ":wq" then
exit
and try to boot from the hard disk.

If not, post us the contents of /etc/fstab _from the installed system_

If you don't like vim, nano should be present too, but it confuses me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait