SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2016

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:03:26 -0500
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2016, P. Larry Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Please don't shoot the questioner (me), as I have no experience with
>>> Python, other than knowing "what" it is and that my SL6.8 systems have
>>> version 2.6.6 installed.
>>>
>>> I have been asked by one of our Professors that one of his grad students
>>> apparently needs Python 2.7.x installed on our cluster (optimally in
>>> /usr/local, which is an NFS mounted dir everywhere).

Never replace basic system components this way. If you ever have to do
this, put them in /usr/ocal/python27, or /opt/python27. This is very
much what the SCL tools published upstream by Red Hat do, and
available for Scientific Linux and CentOS.

This student and professor may want to think of jumping to SL 7, and
avoiding the issues with other legacy components.