SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:44:56 +0100
Hi,

        I'm currently attempting to install Scientific Linux x86_64 5.3 on a Dell Precision T7500 workstation. The disk images (DVD images, 2 of) were downloaded to my laptop last night, burned this morning. After running 'linux mediacheck' at the boot prompt the install program starts, asks where installation is to be from, and I select CDROM. The machine spits out the disk and states that it cannot find the install disk. Pressing OK (to retry) causes the machine to take the disk back in, spin up, then spit the disk out again.

        I'm currently downloading the images to another machine (my laptop is a good few years old and the  DVD-RW is rarely used) in order to try burning fresh disks, however the download will take a few hours and I would like to check that I am not missing something first!

Machine specifications:

2x Intel Xeon E5530 CPUs; HT enabled
24 GB RAM
3 x 1TB SATA Hard Disks
1 x SATA DVD-RW Drive
nVidia Quadro 295

(The machine came supplied with Windows XP64, I've booted this to check that the machine works correctly, so I don't think it's a hardware fault).

Kind regards,

David

--
David J. Nelson, J. M. Percy Research Group, WestCHEM
Department of Pure & Applied Chemistry, The University of Strathclyde

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland (SC015263)

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4306 (20090804) __________

http://www.eset.com