SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
"Bly, MJ (Martin)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bly, MJ (Martin)
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:50:21 +0100
Sven,

This looks like a well known problem with 9500 series cards with the 9.2 series firmware and battery backup units.  To quote from a recent submission to the linux-ide-arrays list:

"There are some bad BBUs out there that never get fully charged.  The
9.2 firmware recognizes that the BBU isn't fully charged and disables the
write cache, trashing performance.  This doesn't happen with 9.1.5.2
since, well, it pretty much just ignores the BBU."

I believe you can RMA the BBUs for new ones.

The original post goes on about another issue which might affect your setup - I'll forward you the original.

Martin.