SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:43:40 +0000
On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 13:23 -0800, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 12:40 -0800, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> For some reason, I am unable to cut a DVD from an ISO.
> >> Specifically, I am trying to cut DVDs of the SL61 DVD.
> >>
> >> I get bad md5sums when using from both growisofs and k3b.

You specifically state here that there is a problem with the checksum.
If you are sure the chesksum is OK then the image is not corrupt.

> k3b won't check the md5sum for me.  k3b crashes when checking with an
> error about a bad device.  I used the md5sum command from the command
> line to test the new disks.

OK, so the iso is sound.

k3b should be able to check the disc integrity (haven't used it for a
while, but it uses either md5 or checksum.

You say that the error given by k3b is a device error?
if you are using rewritable discs, just try writing any data to the disc
and see if it works.
If you are still getting errors, you do have a device error.
Check the dmesg data to see/get a clue what the problem is. Try:
dmesg>tail