SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:02:41 -0500
Bill Askew wrote:
> We have some Lenovo T61p laptops that we are running SL 5.0 on.
> I configure /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 with a static IP address.  I am not
> putting in the MAC information on purpose.
> I reboot and the configuration works fine.
> In the production environment we have, one laptop is used to produce the
> installations for all the laptops.  The drives are then installed in
> different laptops.
> When the new laptop is booted it looks like kudzu conceders the Ethernet
> chip to be a new device since the MAC address is different, so, kudzu
> messes up the Ethernet configuration.
> Is there an option to keep kudzu from changing Ethernet configurations or
> do I just need to disable it?
> If I disable kudzu, will hot plug items like a USB device still work?
> Thanks

Bill,
I've experienced the same situation over the years.  I simply disable
kudzu after the initial installation.  It will not affect USB or other
hotplug type devices as you question (at least from my experience).  I
have a setup script/rpm that issues a 'chkconfig kudzu off' and go on my
way.  The only time I've needed to run it again is if I change hardware
that requires different drivers.  You can then make the changes by hand,
or run kudzu from the command line on an as-need basis.

For information's sake, kudzu builds, maintains, and monitors
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf in case you are curious how it determines things.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer