SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:43:10 -0400
Hi,

I've been using SL 5.1 with Firefox 1.5.x  and Thunderbird
(thunderbird-1.5.0.12-12.el5) for a while (workingfine).
I could click a http link (for example) and start Firefox in a new tab
in the browser.

After last night's yum update, Firefox 3.0.1 has replaced the old
Firefox 1.5.x .  I can use firefox without problem.
But now if I click a http link (say) when there is Firefox, it'd complain :

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window,
you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

If I close the Firefox, it'd start a new one.  But if I click another
http link, it'd make the same complaint and I have to close
Firefox (or I can copy and paste the link to Firefox).

In thunderbird about:config,  network.protocol-handler.app.http has
pointed to "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.12/open-browser.sh"  and it had
worked fine before until  now Firefox 3.0.1 comes.

I've tried to replace that open-browser.sh with firefox etc.   Nothing
works and the same error message persists.
( I've stupidly deleted old profiles in firefox/thunderbird (as I'm
desperate) but of course they were not the problem. )

It looks like to me that open-browser.sh in 1.5 Thunderbird is not
updated with Firefox 3.0.1 ...

Any ideas and help ?

Kin