SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Doug Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2015 09:59:51 -0700
Greetings,

Perhaps it is a typo in the documentation?

{root}> yum search yum-conf
Loaded plugins: kernel-module, priorities
463 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
================================================================ Matched: yum-conf ================================================================
yum-conf.noarch : RPM installer/updater config files
yum-conf-5x.noarch : RPM installer/updater config files
yum-conf-adobe.i686 : linux.adobe.com Repository Configuration
yum-conf-adobe.x86_64 : linux.adobe.com Repository Configuration
yum-conf-elrepo.noarch : ElRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository release file
yum-conf-epel.noarch : Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux repository configuration

But I don't use this method, so take this with a grain of salt.

	Hope this helps,
	doug

> Hi,
> I have several different releases of Scientific Linux running, and now one =
> of my spare-fileservers is repowerd again
> Then I found out it is still running SL 5.3, so I would like to update to 5=
> .11, but ScienticfLinux.org in its FAQ only mentions:
>

> How do I update to the latest release?
>
>     To upgrade from SL 5.5 (or any older SL 5 release) to the latest SL 5, =
> simply install yum-conf-sl5x
>     To upgrade from SL 6.1 (or any older SL 6 release) to the latest SL 6, =
> simply install yum-conf-sl6x
>     Upgrades between major versions (from SL 5 to SL 6, or SL 6 to SL 7) ar=
> e not supported.
>
> Starting with Scientific Linux 5.9 and Scientific Linux 6.4, the 'x' repo i=
> s installed by default.
> >

> So:
> # yum install yum-conf-sl5x=20
>
> Shows:
> "No package yum-conf-sl5x available" (from ftp1.scientificlinux.org)=20
>
> Therefor: Is the phrase " or any older SL 5 release " correct ?
>
> Regards,
> Carel=20

   Doug Johnson                    email: [log in to unmask]
   B390, Duane Physics             (303)-492-4506 Office
   Boulder, CO 80309               (303)-492-5119 FAX
                                   http://www.aaccchildren.org
                                   http://www-hep.colorado.edu/support/fulbright

   Father, father, father. We don't need to escalate
   War is not the answer, 'cause only love can conquer hate.