SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:24:40 -0500
Ok, here's my dumb question of the week (might have more next week).
Does SL 4.4 not support floppy drives?

Reason I ask is I have an Intel Server System SR1500AL (mother board
is Intel Server Board S5000PAL), 1U rack mount, that came with two
internal disks (set up to be RAID 1, mirrored), a CDROM drive, and
a floppy drive.  I need to add the Intel RAID driver at install
time and Anaconda is only giving me the choice of sda (I'm assuming
that's the hard disk) or hdb (is that the CDROM drive?) at the "Driver
Disk Source" page.  If I choose hdb and have the appropriate floppy
loaded and hit "ok", it just comes back asking me to insert the
driver disk again.  I'm pretty sure the floppy device should be
/dev/fdb (or fd0 or something like that).

So, my suspicion is that SL 4.4 does not support floppies, which
is a bummer since our entire legacy server installation and rebuild
process (that I need to migrate to SL 4.4) is based on floppy
diskette kickstarts.

Now, pending resolution of that major hurdle, I'm wondering
(assuming /dev/hdb is indeed the cdrom) how do I get the .img
driver file properly onto a cdrom from my Windows desktop (none
of our linux servers has a CD burner)?  The rawrite program works
only (I suspect) with floppies.  I tried using Roxio to put the
dd.img file on a cd-r, but that didn't seem to work either.
I suspect it's not in the right format.  When I open the cd on
my Windows box, all I see is a file called dd.img, which, of
course, I can't open.  When I do the same with the floppy I
created with rawrite, I can see the files contained in the dd.img.

Thanks!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group