SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 11:44:15 -0800
On 2014-11-06 11:28, Chris Schanzle wrote:
> On 11/05/2014 06:36 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>> A few days ago an updated linux kernel and updated xorg packages were
>> pushed into the SL6 updates. These updates are automatically installed
>> by the default yum configuration of SL6.5.
>>
>> Unfortunately these updates are incompatible with pre-installed X11 video
>> drivers for NVIDIA (GeForce 210) and AMD/ATI (AMD E-350/E-450 and socket AM1
>> on-board video) from ELREPO.
>>
>> These are the ELREPO kmod-fglrx and kmod-nvidia packages.
>>
>> So all computers with these video cards promptly broke.
> [snip]
>
> Many (>7) years ago I gave up on "outsourcing" my NVIDIA proprietary driver needs and wrote my own init.d script that installs/removes/kmod-updates the nvidia driver using nvidia's .run files.  Yes, there are a few things to be concerned about with some xorg updates stepping on files, but all easily fixable and under *my* control and has served me well.  Trying various versions is fairly simple (telinit 3, uninstall, move new version to /root/, install, telinit 5).  My update processes are heavily scripted as well.  And yes, I test some common configs before releasing to 150+ workstations of various configurations.  It is not easy.
>
> Admittedly, I'm a control freak with good scripting skills...a dangerous combination.

The trouble I have here is that distros with which I am familiar all keep around
the last three kernel updates in case something goes wrong with the new one.
Breaking X11's backwards compatibility breaks this safety mechanism. Is XOrg
REALLY worth using when you periodically lose your capability of stepping
backwards if something else breaks? The XOrg people probably have been
approached over this unfortunate behavior and don't pay any attention to
complaints. The best complaint would be for a major distro to quit using XOrg
over this issue.

{^_^}   Joanne