SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:18:35 -0700
Hi,
I have 3 issues related with using my wireless router, and
making sure changes take effect at boot time.

ISSUE 1: Obtaining DHCP from router
My wireless router can be used if my machine (an hp pavillion
5000 series laptop) is given a fixed IP address. For this to
happen, the ipW3945d service (driver) has to be activated so
that the wireless connection is associated with the eth1
interface. (From the HOWTO's this is done so that sofware that
can change certain wireless connectivity parameters into
unlawful values cannot be tampered with by a user, which is an
FCC legal requirement) eth0 is associated with the wired network
interface.

My router may issue DHCP IP addresses, but I cannot use the
wireless connection because I would need the issued IP address
to configure the eth1 interface needed for the connection!
Unfortunately, the router cannot issue both fixed and DHCP IP
addresses at the same time! Furthermore, the accepted address
range set for the router need not be known by the user, who need
not have root/admin access.

QUESTION: How can I configure my eth1 interface so that it can
get a DHCP IP address from the router?

ISSUE 2: Adding configuration start-up commands at boot time
The following are actually more of linux boot-related questions:
I used /sbin/chkconfig to start the ipw3945d service at boot
time. However, the initialisation commands
	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "doit1wlan" channel 6 rate auto
txpower auto
	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 key open s:xxxxx
	# /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.110
which are used to configure the device are lost.

QUESTION: How should I save these commands so that they are
automatically executed at time? (.bashrc does not seem right!)

ISSUE 3: Controlling Services across sessions
Sometimes, when my laptop runs out of power and shuts down, the
subsequent reboot restart or resume some of the programs
(processes) that were running before. This does not happen when
I shutdown the system. I have deleted the processes from the
current session services, but they still re-appear on subsequent
boots. (such processes seem to be hvve unusual names, id's or
directory paths appended/prepended to them). I think at one time
in the distant past, pm-hibernate or pm-suspend had been called.

QUESTION 1: How can I turn this on or off -- at my discretion?
QUESTION 2: Which services can be controlled this way?
openOffice.org 2.0 and file-roller seem to behave this way, but
not emacs.

Does anyone have an experience that will help?

William

Be a better friend, newshound, and