SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 15:38:05 -0500
Sean Patrick Thompson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     While we don't officially support the KDE desktop, a few of our
> users prefer it, and we offer them "best effort" support. Apparently,
> the KDE Control Center presents them with a dearth of options - 7 panels
> are available to them, as opposed to KDE's default of approximately 62
> million. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? We've made a few minor
> modifications to SL specific to our needs here, but to my knowledge,
> nothing that would cause this behavior.

I'm about the opposite of that, in that Gnome is a "best effort" for me.
But I'm confused at what the problem is.
What do you mean "a dearth of options" does this mean alot, or that
everything is all mixed up?
And what do you mean "7 panels are available to them"?  Because the KDE
Control Center doesn't really have panels, it has a tree view along the
side, and the main screen on the right shows what you select on the
tree.  And the 62 million part doesn't make sense at all.
Are you sure we're talking about the KDE Control Center?

Troy

>     Apparently, /usr/bin/starkde calls /usr/bin/desktop-create-kmenu to
> populate /var/lib/menu/kde/* with a number of symlinks to the .desktop
> files in /usr/share/applications. desktop-create-kmenu kept throwing
> errors on the vast majority of kde-specific .desktop files as a result
> of the numerous 'Keywords' entries in each file. Lo and behold, after
> removing the offending lines from each .desktop file, the appropriate
> entries in the Control Center appeared.
>
>     I'm not a KDE user myself, so I don't have experience using KDE with
> SL or with any other distros. A quick look at the KDE packages from
> Fedora Core 3, for example, show the same offending 'Keywords' entries
> in the various .desktop files, and I haven't been able to find any
> reports of this behavior elsewhere...
>
>     Again, I'm curious if others have experienced the same behavior, or
> if there is some modification we've made here that caused it, or if
> there is a different solution that would have corrected the problem.
> Thanks!
>
> -Sean

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468