SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Steve Gaarder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Gaarder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:56:49 -0500
I've done cloning for many years with tar:

On the source machine, boot from an SL live CD and mount the source's root
file system.  Make a tar file of this system with a command like:

cd /mnt/wherever
tar -cSf - . | ssh someuser@somewhere 'cat >mysystem.tar'

Then, on the target, boot the live CD, partition the disk, create the
root filesystem and mount it.  THen untar the contents with something
like:

cd /mnt/wherever
ssh someuser@somewhere cat mysystem.tar | tar -xpSf -

You may need to change /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf, if the
partition layout is different or the files use UUIDs.  In the latter case,
I just change to partition names (e.g./dev/sda1).

Then run grub to install the boot loader:

grub
root (hd0,X)
setup (hd0)

This works great as long as the hardware is similar enough that the
initrd/initramfs still works.  Otherwise, there's an extra step to
regenerate it, which I can explain if people want.

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA