SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Jos van Wezel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jos van Wezel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:44:32 +0100
We have seen hanging clients on 7.3, not yet on RHEL3. The situation
went worse when we switched to NFS over tcp. This could be explained by
what Martin wrote about the kernel nfs layer loosing the packet. If the
  tcp connection looses data midstream the mount is hung forever. We
reverted to udp this afternoon and hope for better results.

Interestingly we went to nfs over tcp to work around the problem that
Devin reports namely the slowdown and final lockup of the nfs servers in
relation to local IO. Once we removed the backup client from the servers
it was much better but it still happens once in a while.

Devin can you confirm that in the lockup all nfsd end up in D wait?