SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:28:16 +0100
On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Yasha Karant wrote:

> How does the above lack of warranty from a commercial for-profit vendor
> differ from the "These packages are provided As-Is with no implied warranty
> or support" from el-repo or the similar disclaimer from SL? This is not a
> discussion of specific ElRepo packages, but a general question of interest to
> all users of packages advertised on the SL list -- ElRepo in this particular
> instance.

Yasha,

I am certain that even you must understand the difference between paid-for
support by the largest Linux vendor on the planet for a kernel run by
tens of millions, and a handful of people providing an alternative kernel
(that could be useful to some users).

Even with the legalese. I don't know what you are getting at though.

If you think running kernel-ml in production, feel free to do so on your
own terms, the ELRepo project however does not advise to use kernel-ml for
production use and doesn't want people to assume that it provides the same
maturity, reliability, security or support as the upstream kernel
releases. http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

Can we now please end this thread ? If you like to continue your own
thoughts on certain matters, feel free to do so on your own blog. I
however don't see the merits of picking on people's words.

Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/