SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:29:03 -0600
XFS has been stable for a while (at least on 32 bit), I wouldn't worry
too much about that.  It is designed to handle large filesystems like
this.  My largest experience is a 6x500GB array in raid5, so roughly
2.5TB.  Works fine as a single volume in Debian Etch (4.0).  One thing a
lot of others tend to do, if the card supports it, is carve/autocarve.
This breaks up the raid into several volumes under 2TB (or some selected
size) that later gets laced back together using LVM.  XFS also allows
you to tune for the stripe sizes and other various aspects of the raid.

Hope that helps at least a little,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola