SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Ivo Gough Eschrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:59:32 -0800
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> Hi.
>
> michal wlasenko wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > it's a short description of adventures with installing linux on acer
> > travelmate 4102
>
> [..]
>
> > still to do: acpi and wlan. in principle, so you guys know how to
> > activate both of them for red hat enterprise, fedora or SL4 ?
>
> Isnt the WiFi the Intel Pro 2200 BG ?
> In such case just run system-config-network , it shall
> see your card.

I found that with SL4.1 the 2200 driver did not get installed by anaconda
for some reason; I had to install it by hand. However then it did get
recognized and system-config-network was sufficient to set it up.

This was on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the same hardware configuration
except for the graphics card. The Dell uses the i915 chip, and the only
way I got the 1280x800 graphics to run was with a hacked i810 driver I
found on the web. However it crashes on every first invocation after a
graceful shutdown. Has anybody gotten a 1280x800 display to run with SL4
when the graphics chip is an intel 915?

Cheers, Ivo